Participation

By: Terry O’Connell, City of Brisbane Mayor, terryoconnell@ci.brisbane.ca.us

One of the most important things that we all can do for our Brisbane community is to participate. When we engage with our community and our government we gain a voice in how our world is being shaped. It gives a voice to our people and sends a message of how we want the world to change and grow. Now, more than ever, our voices for change need to be heard. I was moved by how many of our citizens were involved in the peaceful vigil for Mr. Floyd and for the Black Lives Matter movement in our Park. Being aware makes us all better citizens and allows for a more open dialog.
OF CRITICAL IMPORTANCE TODAY
IS THE 2020 CENSUS
Being counted now, will affect funding locally and statewide for the next TEN years. Many things will be affected: School funding, elected representation, healthcare, roadways and social equity programs. As of June 11th, 2020 Brisbane residences have responded to 73% of the census forms. While that is a high response rate, it leaves 27% of our town uncounted.
If you have not completed your census yet, it is quick, easy and CONFIDENTIAL.
Go to: cmo.smcgov.org/census and click on the link. Or your may call 1-844-330-2020.
VOTE
Another way to participate is to VOTE this November 3rd 2020. Besides an important Presidential race that will be contentious, many regional and statewide issues and candidates will be on the ballot. Locally, Brisbane will be electing 3 citizens to the City Council during the Election. Serving on the City Council is a challenging role with many responsibilities to shape how our local government is run, and to engage with San Mateo County and even the State of California on a broad variety of issues. Nomination papers will be available with our City Clerk, Ingrid Padilla and she will have all the important details on what the commitments are and the dates for filing. You can contact her at 415-508-2113
Stay Safe